Saturday 1 October 2011

Tomorrow - FC United of Manchester vs Lancaster City

So tomorrow I'm planning to be at Gigg Lane for the FA Cup 2nd qualifying round.

Mossley are at home to Prescot Cables tomorrow, but with them crashing out of the FA cup at the first hurdle, I've decided to add something to this blog by trying to go on an "FA Cup run" of my own.

By that I don't mean pick a team and follow their progress or pick a game and then continue going to the next rounds based on who wins, I'm just looking at trying to pick a game from each round involving local teams for as long as local teams stay in it and it's affordable.

I've picked this one as I spent a season following Lancaster City whilst I lived there, and after having to miss Woodley vs Lancaster because I had the virus, I wanted to try to get to one of their matches when they're away at a team closer to home (I know they're still playing at Mossley which I'll be at, but I mean as in I wanted to go to another game so I can watch it supporting Lancaster if you catch my drift!)

Lancaster have been dumped out of the fa cup in early qualifying rounds in recent years, last year losing in the preliminary qualifying round vs radcliffe borough. Progressing to the 2nd qualifying round puts them 3 wins away from the first round proper.

Of course fc united need no reminding about this after last season - beating rochdale 3-2 in the first round before very nearly knocking out Brighton - eventually losing in a home replay, but by then the press and money generated for them by this run was enormous for a team at their level.

Lancaster last faced fc united 2 years ago with united in the division above as is still the case now. Fc united went to the giant axe and the teams drew 3-3, and in the replay Lancaster had a player sent off early in the first half but held on to 0-0 until fc united got an extra time winner. If the teams are as evenly matched this time it could make for a cracking fa cup tie!

No comments:

Post a Comment